Safety Tips

The Amber Alert – an innovative early warning system to help find abducted children.

 

GENERAL FIRE SAFETY

· Does each level of your home have a smoke detector?

· Does your family test smoke detectors regularly?

(Remember a smoke detector that doesn’t work is like not having any smoke detector at all !)

· Does each area have an operational fire extinguisher? kitchen?, workshop?, Family room?

· My fire department emergency telephone number is:

· Does your family know how to report a fire?

(Remember to call the fire department from outside. Give your name, location, and type of fire clearly)

· Does your family plan and practice a fire exit drill from all areas of the house?

(Know 2 ways out from and have a meeting place away from the house.)

 

KITCHEN FIRE SAFETY

· Is the kitchen cooking area free of oil and grease?

(Check under the burners and hood)

· Does your family know how to fight a grease fire?

(Never pour water on It. Smother it with a lid or use a fire extinguisher)

· When working in the kitchen does your family, wear safe clothing and use potholders?

(Never wear loose clothing, draping sleeves may ignite after brushing against a burner)

 

BEDROOM FIRE SAFETY

· Is no smoking in bed a rule in your home?

(Make sure matches and smoking materials are out before disposing of them)

· Does your family know what to do when in their bedroom and a fire breaks out?

(Stay low and feel the door to see if it is hot. If the door is hot,opening it could kill you, oxygen would be added to the fire allowing it to spread into your bedroom. If door is hot use alternate escape route)

· Speaking of alternate escape routes can your family open bedroom windows easily in case of fire emergency?

(Make sure windows are not painted shut and do not stick)

 

BASEMENT/FURNACE FIRE SAFETY

· Do you have the furnace cleaned and maintained regularly?

(Keep a record and have it serviced and checked by an authorized technician)

· Does your family keep the furnace area free of trash papers, paint etc.?

(Use metal containers for ashes)

 

WORKSHOP FIRE SAFETY

· Do you make certain your electrical outlets are not overloaded?

(Use only grounded heavy-duty extension cords)

· Is there a smoke detector in your workshop?

· Is there a fire extinguisher in your workshop?

· When storing paint, varnish etc., do you keep the contents tightly closed?

(Make sure contents are stored in original containers)

 

GARAGE/STORAGE FIRE SAFETY

· If your garage is attached to the house, is it separated by a tight-fitting door which is kept, closed?

(Many homes have a certified door between the living area and attached garage)

· Does your family store gasoline in a strong metal safety can and keep it in a protected area away from the house and garage?

· Does your family let the lawn mower engine cool before refilling the tank?

(Also let lawn and garden equipment cool down before storing in garage or shed)

· Does your family discard old waste oil solvents, flammable liquids etc. properly?

(Check with local authorities for proper disposal methods)

 

Each year residential fires kill an average 5,000 people, injure an additional 21,000 and destroy over $3.5 billion in property. That translates into over 13 deaths and 57 injuries each day! The sad truth is that most of this devastation could be avoided if each household would eliminate fire hazards. Install, as well as, maintain smoke detectors.

 

Fire Rescue Decals

Your mark of greater family protection. Children account for over one third

of the nation’s fire casualties-and no wonder. In the confusion 

of a fire, families often become separated. All too frequently the result is a child.

How TOT FINDER works

The basis for the program is the TOT FINDER decal. Highly visible during the day and reflective from a light source at night, the attractive decal clearly marks the location of a child’s room. Should fire strike, the decal alerts firefighters to clear marked areas first.

Where to place the decals

     Primary location for the weather-resistant decals are:

Windows of children’s rooms facing outside

At the bottom of interior doors facing into hallway.

The TOT FINDER decal can also mark the rooms of invalids and other family members

who require special attention.

 See your local fire department. They will be happy to offer you fire safety advice. If one life is saved, the TOT FINDER program is a great success.

 

 Carbon monoxide can pose poisoning threat:

                                                              (staff and wire reports)

As the weather gets colder and more people crank up their thermostats, fire safety officials are warning them to beware of carbon monoxide poisoning.  In the Lansing area, 15 people were treated in hospitals in two separate carbon monoxide poisoning incidents Saturday. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning any fuel, such as for home heating and cooking. More carbon monoxide poisonings are reported in winter, when use of furnaces and fuel burning appliances rises. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms resemble the flu. If left untreated, it can lead to difficulty breathing and death.

“I would advise anyone who is having flu like symptoms to get out of the house,” said Lt. Mark Ford at Port Huron’s Central Fire Station.

About 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

Fire safety experts recommend annual inspections of furnaces, stoves, fireplaces and other fuel-burning appliances. They also recommend installing a carbon monoxide detector.

Lt. Ford said Port Huron firefighters are anticipating more calls about carbon monoxide detectors going off, now that residents have begun using their furnaces. He said the department receives the majority of those calls in cold weather. Of the seven calls city firefighters have responded to since Jan. 1, only two were for malfunctioning detectors. Firefighters use meters to detect and pinpoint the source of the gas.

Nine residents of the Villas of Woodgate in Lansing – seven adults and two children – were treated Saturday for carbon monoxide poisoning. Firefighters went to the apartment after several residents said they felt ill. About an hour later in Ingham County’s Delhi Township, a girl ran to a neighbor’s home complaining that her family was ill. Firefighters took two adults and four children to the hospital.

A faulty furnace is suspected in both cases.

Lt. Ford said based on what he has seen, 50% to 60% of Port Huron homes have carbon monoxide detectors, including his own house.

SOURCE: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

 

CARBON MONOXIDE : KNOW THE DANGERS

Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, tent or other enclosure.

Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent.

Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even if you leave the garage door open.

Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skills and tools. Always refer to the owner’s manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning appliances.

Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens or clothes dryers for heating your home.

Never operate un vented fuel-burning appliances in any room with closed doors or windows or in any room where people are sleeping.

Do not use gasoline-powered tools and engines indoors. If use is unavoidable, ensure adequate ventilation is available and, whenever possible, place engine unit to exhaust outdoors.

HOME FIRE SAFETY TIPS

(1) Don’t Panic – Concentrate on the task at hand – safe escape.

(2) Act Quickly – Fires move much faster than you can ever imagine

(3) Stay Low – If there’s smoke in the area, get down on your hands and knees, and quickly move to safety.

(4) Feel the Door – Don’t enter through a doorway that feels hot, chances are the fire is on the other side.

(5) Go to the Window – If you can’t find a way out, move quickly to the window, and signal others of your dilemma.

(6) Never Use An Elevator – Fires move constantly upward through vertical openings like elevator shafts. If the elevator loses power and stalls, you’ve had it!

(7) Report the Fire – Once you and your family are safe, report the fire immediately, by calling 9-1-1 or your local emergency number.

 


 

Comments are closed.